Transfer contacts to a brand-new iPhone
To transfer contacts to a brand-new iPhone:
- On your old iPhone, make sure you’re logged into your iCloud account and connected to Wi-Fi. To check if you’re logged in open the Settings app. As long as you are using iOS 10.3 or later, the name associated with your Apple ID will appear at the top of the Settings app. In earlier versions of iOS you’ll need to open Settings and select iCloud – if your name and Apple ID are displayed at the top of the page then you’re logged in and ready to get started.
- If you aren’t logged in, do so (your iCloud ID and password are the same ones you use if you buy something from the App Store or a tune from iTunes).
- Once you’re logged in, make sure that the option to sync contacts is toggled on. Go to Settings and tap the name at the top > tap iCloud > scroll down to check Contacts is green.
- Next you need to scroll down, tap iCloud Backup, and make sure it’s turned on. Now tap ‘Back Up Now’. (In iOS 10.2 and earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Backup and tap ‘Back Up now’.) The length of time this takes depends on how much content you’re backing up and the speed of your internet connection.
- Now you can set up your new phone using the iCloud backup. During the initial setup of your new iPhone, you’ll be prompted to give your Apple ID details.
- When asked to choose from a backup or set up as a new iPhone, select ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’.
- Select the latest backup from the list and the restore will begin. The length of time this takes depends on your internet connection.
- Once the restore has finished, the phone will restart and should be ready to use.