How to Share Your Watch Faces with watchOS 7
Apple’s watchOS 7 brought many new features and improvements to the already amazing Apple Watch.
Sadly, the new system update didn’t bring something we’ve all been asking for: a store with third-party watch faces. It seems as if this isn’t Apple’s priority at the moment, so we shouldn’t hold our breath on this one.
The good news is that watchOS 7 offers many new ways to customize your watch faces and share them with a single person or even the whole world.
It may seem a bit tricky at first, but sharing your Apple Watch watch faces is really easy once you get the hang of it. The best part is that you can share from your iPhone or right from your Apple Watch.
Continue reading to learn about every way you can share your watch faces.
What you need to share your watch faces
Let’s go over the requirements you need to be able to share your watch faces. Don’t worry, you probably already have everything you need.
You’ll obviously need an Apple Watch, but make sure it’s a recent one and that it has watchOS 7 installed. Here’s a quick guide on how you can check which version you have installed.
- On your Apple Watch, go to the Settings App.
- Tap on General.
- Select About.
- You’ll see which watchOS version you have under Version.
This means you’ll need to have at least an Apple Watch Series 3, and yes, this includes the Apple Watch SE. The original Apple Watch and the Series 2 don’t support watchOS 7. Next, you’ll also need your iPhone to have your iPhone up to date with the latest iOS 14 version. Now, let’s move onto the tutorial.
How to share watch faces from your Apple Watch
Using your Apple Watch is one of the easiest ways to share your watch faces with someone else. The downside is that you can only share it with one person at a time, so if you want to send it to several friends, it’ll take you a bit longer. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, select the watch face you want to share.
- Press and hold your watch face until you see the Share and Edit buttons below your watch face.
- Tap on the Share button. It’s the square button next to Edit.
- Select Add contact.
- Select the person you want to share it with. Pro tip: If the contact is not a favorite or recent contact, you can tap on the Dictate button, that is, the blue microphone, to say the name of your contact.
- After you selected your contact, choose to send a custom message or the default one.
- Scroll down and tap on Send.
As you can see, not only you’ll only be able to share your watch face one at a time, but you can also do it via iMessage. Fortunately, there are more ways to share it from your iPhone.
How to share watch faces from your iPhone
Using your iPhone to share your watch faces offers a wider variety of options to choose from. You can share it via email, iMessage, or even using third-party apps. Here’s how!
- On your iPhone, open the Watch App.
- If you’re not there already, tap on the My Watch tab.
- Tap on the watch face you want to share.
- Tap on the Share button, which is on the top-right corner of your screen.
- Tap on the option you’d like to use to share your watch face.
How to share your watch faces online
Sharing your watch faces with your iPhone might be the best option for most people. It has many options to choose from, and you can share your watch faces with more people.
However, if you feel like you just created the best Apple Watch watch face ever, then you might want to share it with the whole world. Here’s how you can share your watch faces online.
Before we start, you should know this process takes a little longer to do. It’s still pretty straightforward, but it’ll take some time.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Select the watch face you want to share.
- Tap on the Share button located on the top-right corner of your iPhone.
- In the sharing options, select Mail.
- You want to email yourself your watch face. You read that right, to yourself, no the people you want to share it with.
- If you’re on your iPhone, open the mail you got and tap and hold the attached .watchface file.
- Tap on Share.
- On the options, choose Save to Files.
- Select the location and tap on Save.
- Now, go to the Files app on your iPhone.
- Go to the location where you saved your .watchface file.
- Tap and hold your .watchface file.
- Select Share.
- Tap on Add People.
- Tap on Share Options. Tap on Anyone with a link. This option lets everyone with your link download your watch face.
- Tap on the Back arrow on the left side of your screen to go back.
- On the sharing options, look for the option Copy Link. You might need to swipe left to find it.
- Now, with the link copied, go to any website or social media and paste it.
Congratulations! You just shared your watch face to the world. Granted, it takes quite a few steps to share it. Hopefully, there will be an easier way to do it in a future update.
How to receive a watch face on your iPhone
Ok, we’re almost done. Now you only need to know how to receive watch faces when someone else shares them with you. Here’s what you need to do:
- On your iPhone, tap on the watch face you just got.
- Your Watch app will automatically open up.
- You should see your new watch face on your screen. Tap on Add to My Faces.
- You’ll be asked if you want to download any complications you don’t have installed yet. If you don’t want to install them, tap on Continue Without This App.
- Now you can select this new watch face from the My Faces tab on your iPhone or your Apple Watch.